tree farming, dual land use, better cash flow

W. Klatt wklattjr at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 5 02:02:23 EST 1995

On 5 Sep 1995, MICHAEL PALENCAR wrote:

>    We have been involved with tree farming for a few years and I have
> begun to wonder if there are other ways the land can be used while it
> is growing timber. Something simple that would not inhibit the growth
> of the trees.
>    Since we usually plant on old pasture land in the Appalachians, my
> first idea was to graze cattle after the trees were tall enough to
> avoid trampling, until the shade choked out the rich grass. I also
> thought about planting trees closer together, with every other row
> being a fast growing variety that could be harvested early, such as
> Locust for fence posts.
>    The local professionals have already laughed at this idea, so don't
> worry about hurting my feelings. Any ideas?

As a budding Forest Mangament student I can only give a very brief and
speculative answer, I hope all of the professionals out their can clarify
(and more importantly correct)my observations.

I don't know if it would be applicable their but here in Western
Washington, I know that we are using local sewage sludge as fertilizer.
In some instances, the local county government actually pays Wherehauser
(sp? local forest resources company) to use up the sewage. It has a
remarkable growing effect on the surrounding area.

I am curious to a comment in your post. This probably is due to my lack
of experience and knowledge in forest management, but why do you plant in
rows? Thru the use of nonspecific planting, and an effective mangament
plan of improve cutting, trimming, precommercial thinning, and
fertlization of the soil, should maximize your crop yeild... well that is
that I have been led to believe to this point.

Bill Klatt