tree farming, dual land use, better cash flow

MICHAEL PALENCAR micp at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 6 21:06:49 EST 1995

In <Pine.A32.3.91j.950904233331.78209B-100000 at homer23.u.washington.edu>
"W. Klatt" <wklattjr at u.washington.edu> writes:

>On 5 Sep 1995, MICHAEL PALENCAR wrote:
>

>I am curious to a comment in your post. This probably is due to my
lack
>of experience and knowledge in forest management, but why do you plant
in
>rows? Thru the use of nonspecific planting, and an effective mangament

>plan of improve cutting, trimming, precommercial thinning, and
>fertlization of the soil, should maximize your crop yeild... well that
is
>that I have been led to believe to this point.
>
>Bill Klatt

Bill,
   We plant on old pasture and crop land. We plant rows of trees like
farmers plant corn. I look at trees like a crop, just a longer harvest
cycle. I'm no expert, but I suspect this is how the large Yellow Pine
plantations of the Southeast operate, and I bet they would do this in
the Northwest also if the land were suited for it.
Mike Palencar