tree farming, dual land use, better cash flow

thomas macaulay tmacaul2 at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Sep 8 11:39:15 EST 1995

> "Weyerhaeuser" is the correct spelling.

Orthography has never been my forte, although you must admit that
"Weyer" is an improvement on "Where." as for the rest of it (in the
words of Satchmo): "too-may-toe, too-mah-toe, let's call the whole
thing off)

> Is this near Canida?

that's "Great White North" to you, pops.

> Please define "scouring", explain how it applies to the private
> timberlands owned by the company, and how the genetic improvement
> and silviculture research carried out by Weyerhaeuser around the

When i think of "scouring," a lot of images come to mind. first &
foremost, i think of the scouring of the stream & river beds by all
that run-off soil/mineral matter which results from overzealous
high-grading logging "operations." Why do you think the salmon stocks
are being decimated? (yes, it's true, a change in ocean temperature
has something to do with it). it is because of the SCOURING of the
creekbeds where the salmon enjoy spawning.

Of course, i also think of the steep slopes that are scoured in the
process of a clearcutting "operation" (ironic choice of words for
describing logging, eh? i like it). as a lifelong inhabitant of
British Columbia, i do have some anecdotal knowledge re: Weyerhaeuser
and what they've been up to. I'm well aware of their consciencious
(sp?) application of silviculture on their monoculture treefarms, and
i have no doubt that their practices will become increasingly "green"
in the future. what i maintain, however, is that in the past, they
SCOURED the forest ecosystems of old-growth timber. in fact, they
scoured their concessions of biodiversity. why do you
think the spotted owl is in the corner it now occupies?

I can no more morally judge Weyerhaeuser for its historical behaviour
than i can Atilla the Hun for doing what he thougtht was
necessary to build his empire. Weyerhaeuser was
merely behaving "rationally" in a specific regulatory climate and
assuming a now antiquated set of assumptions re: forest ecology. i suppose
they were doing the best they could - if i was back there with them,
i wouldn't have been any different. but that doesn't mean i have to
admire this corporation. and i'm also unhappy about introducing
genetically altered trees into the forest. but that's just a feeling.

> BTW, which brand of bum wipe do you favor, and why?

if you must know, i clean up with a hemp/cereal straw-based
product. i favour it because it contains no trees. the brand-name,
however, escapes me...