Tree Branches Falling OFF!

frankc at spry.com frankc at spry.com
Sat Sep 9 22:50:15 EST 1995

>   zippyfl at aol.com (ZIPPY FL) writes:
>  My mother has a 59 year old Pecan tree on her property.   Within in the
>  last month some of the branches have broken off (2"-6" in diameter).  My
>  mom stated this has never happened before to this tree.    The tree is
>  around 80 feet tall with a 14.5foot circumference at the 4ft high level.
>  The tree is located in the New Orleans area.  It has a plentiful crop of
>  pecans that are ready to fall.    The only parameters that new is that we
>  poured a 34 ft x 12 ft slab near the tree, on one side.   Most of the
>  ground around the tree is uncovered.    If any one can provide some
>  information it would be appreciated.   ...ByArRrRaB...

Sounds like cause and effect to me.  Pecan, Carya illinoensis, can have
 a spread of from 40' - 70', from what I've read.  A tree's roots can extend up to 3
times it's canopy (spread).  So depending where and in what position you
poured the new slab, this may be starving the small feeder roots of air and water.
I'd guess the falling branches are dieback at
the furthermost  tips of the larger limbs.  This is where root damage shows
itself, being furthest from the roots. ( I wonder if the dieback is occuring in the
same general area of the slab as I suspect.)  You could always contact an
arborist who may be able to look for
insects or diseases or call Extention for their local scoop on what
should/shouldn't be happening to your mom's cool old tree.
Good Luck, Constance