Sustainable Forestry in Tropical Forests

steve mitten s-steten at deepcove.com
Tue Sep 26 12:19:11 EST 1995

I am interested in knowing if anyone has information, or ideas, regarding
an environmentally sustainable, and commercially viable, management
regime that could be applied to a tropical rain forest.  I am not interested
in monocultures, but rather looking for a system which would perserve the
diversity and environmental integrity of the existing forest.

Pilot project target investment size, $1-10 million.  I am comfortable with the
prospects of a minimum harvest of 100,000 m3/yr., marketing up to 5 main
species, and harvesting with helicopters,but I would like to know if anyone
has studied both the economics and environmental aspects of such an operation.