logging and environmental problems

Jed ifjed at nmsua.nmsu.edu
Thu Sep 28 20:39:29 EST 1995

In article <kmayhew.69.000C8DF8 at bud.peinet.pe.ca> kmayhew at bud.peinet.pe.ca (Ken Mayhew) writes:
>From: kmayhew at bud.peinet.pe.ca (Ken Mayhew)
>Subject: re: logging and environmental problems
>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 08:26:47 LOCAL

>I agree that many loggers who work in the forest are trying to be good
>stewards BUT, there will always be those who do not care (name a profession

Loggers aren't paid to be good stewards, they are paid to do what the boss
tells them to do.  I don't blame them.  It's the company and corporation
owners that do not care what goes on as long as the maximum bucks flow into
the company coffers.

>where that doesn't apply), economic factors (after all they are producing
>the wood and paper WE use every day) and biological factors( an old growth
>forest can be managed in ways that a high-graded forest cannot - they mus
>work with the mistakes of the past just like everyone else).

There must be financial incentives and/or disincentives associated with
forest management.  If environmental costs aren't factored in, we aren't
paying the true cost.  The same is true for most extractive industries.

>If you want better forestry Practices, be willing to pay more for your wood.
>Don't place the burden on the hard working guy at the end of the chainsaw!

True.  The guy on the chainsaw is not making a killing, he's just trying to
make a living.  The guys who own the company are often making a killing
subsidized by the taxpayers's and at the expense of long-term environmental
damage.  Southeast Alaska is a good example.  Forest Service-subsidized
clearcutting for the benefit mainly of the Japanese ecomony.

>Ken

      / \
    í// \\
   */// \\\*
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
"Stay in your own cubicle, please."

Some historians attribute this remark to Mark Twain, however, it's
actually from Matt Groenig.