Deforestation in Los Angeles

Steve Shook woodlab at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 10 07:44:30 EST 1996

Raymond Powers raypows at earthlink.net wrote:

> In Los Angeles California the local Los Angeles Board of Supervisors has
> given permission for the degradation of Sunshine Forest, the oldest Oak
> grove forest in L.A. to be used as a land fill.

What makes this oak grove unique that it should be spared from the "ax?"  I don't see
what age (i.e., "the oldest Oak grove forest in L.A.) has to do with perserving the
forest? Is there something special about the oak species at Sunshine Forest that should
motivate us to perserve the forest?  Are the trees abnormally large?  Is the landscape
aesthetically pleasing in a relative sense?  Is the area currently not utilized for
recreational purposes (i.e., the public has found little recreational value in the
property), thus making it a prime candidate for industrial development? Are there a
number of other oak groves in L.A.?

You haven't developed an argument as to why we should be motivated to perserve Sunshine
Forest. Instead, you have used rhetoric (i.e., "the oldest Oak grove forest in L.A.") to
support your cause.