Help me add trees to Mali farms - there is information available

LeRoy D. L. DUVALL, Jr. lduvall at nwlink.com
Sun Apr 14 10:34:23 EST 1996

Phillip Hopper wrote:

> Christophe Lawrence wrote:
>
> > How can I add more or different trees to this system?  My research
> > seems to indicate that alley cropping with nitrogen fixing woody species
> > won't work in a climate this dry.  I'm also under the impression that,
> > in general, planting new trees in these fields (e.g. additional acacias)
> > is not realistic, given the effort and inputs needed to get them esta-
> > blished.  My impression is that I am limited to adding fodderwood or
> > fuelwood banks in marginal farm areas.  Live fences, protective hedgerows
> > could also work.
> >
> > What do you think?  Any advice on species or strategies?  I'm reluctant
> > to ask for help, but my library here can't provide me with many relevant
> > articles I've located through Agricola and other sources.  Maybe some-
> > one out there just got back from Mali with fresh ideas!
> >
> > Thanks! chlawren at vt.edu
>
> Well, I have not been to Mali, but I do have some experience in Haiti.  From your
> description, the cultural and agricultural conditions are similar to some of the
> higher elevations in Haiti.  There it is unrealistic to expect farmers to do
> "reforesting" on their own for the same reasons.  The best chance of getting trees
> grown is to make it profitable.  Trees that produce a regular, marketable crop are a
> good choice.
>
> Fast growing tree species are another good choice.  In Haiti the majority of the
> biomass is converted to charcoal and sold.   With a good management plan this can be
> quit sustainable.
>
> Both of these stratagies ultimately depend on sufficient available water.  If there is
> not enough water either from rainfall or irrigation it is unrealistic to ask the
> farmers to try to grow trees.  There are many areas where trees are naturally absent,
> and there is nothing wrong with this.
>
> Phillip Hopper

I visited Mali in mid-1993, specifically to look at forestry projects or projects with
forestry components. There was a foretry project, based in Mopti working with the
Forestry Department. This project had been on-going for several years and had been used
in several assessments of forestry in the Sahel. There were also a number of
NGO-sponsored activities with forestry components.

The Mopti project had several examples of successful interventions - but often very
focused and of limited area of influence/impact. One particular farmer/tree planter who
had made a lot of money growing eucalyptus and selling the trees as poles has been well
documented. As I recall, his neighbors have also gotten heavily into tree planting as
well. There are also a lot of interesting stories about how he got started, problems
that arose as his efforts became successful, and the expansion of tree planting by
others. I recall visiting another area where villagers on the Dogan Plateau had planted
trees - a mix of pole spp. and fruit trees and they were harvesting the fruit, but as I
recall there was no cutting the pole spp. I visited several other sites that were
influenced by this project as well.

There was another NGO project that I visited that had a tree planting component, but
with mixed success. I remember visiting a couple of villages where there were nurseries
and beginning planting activities. I can't for the life of me remember the name of this
NGO, except I remember I had never heard of it before, it had a very unlikely name, and
I think it's nulti-word name started with an N - could be wrong on the N though.

I also visited one village where there had been a lot of tree planting with a lot of
villager participation. (I can't recall if this was yet a third project or affiliated
with one of the two mentioned above.) Another village nearby had also gotten heavily
involved in tree planting - in competition with the first village. THEN, foreign
officials got provided some other support activities in the first village. The competing
village got miffed and stopping all activities - I don't recall the results in the first
village that had the outside involvement. (It is fun looking at these things! It is
amazing what you learn.)

Now, I don't recall the details on the above activities, and don't really feel like
digging it up. BUT I know there have been lots of reports prepared over the years on the
project that was based in Mopti. There have been several USAID-funded assessments that
have documented the successes of this particular project. There have also been a lot
of assessments of the NGO activities in Mali. You will need to do a search of the online
USAID information - I hope you have www/ftp access.

There is a USAID library in Rosslyn, VA which "should" have documentation on all of the
above, and more. There was a NRMS project that was working with NGOs in Mali, among
other countries. They produced reports, which should be useful to you. There is also a
USAID-funded activity to track USAID-funded projects. Among other things, it had a
database project-tracking activity as I recall, but the name of the project and company
that had it escapes me.

In addition to checking the USAID on-line information, Alta Vista would be a good place
to do a search on NRMS, CCAONG, "forstry and Mopti" and any other keywords you can think
of. I know for a fact that there is a lot of information available, you just have to
find it.

Good luck.