Help, equipment of measuring wood density

Frank F Kroger fkroger at
Wed Apr 24 13:33:36 EST 1996

liuh1 at (Huawu Liu) writes:

>I intend to buy an equipment to measure wood 
>density, but I have  problem to find one.

How about a ruler and a scale?

Use the ruler to measure the volume of a block of wood, use the scale to
weigh the block. This gives you all the info your need to calculate 

If your block of wood is of irregular shape measure its volume by
displacing water then compare the weight of the displaced water with the
weight of the block of wood. Since water has a density of 1 this
comparison yields the density of the wood.

....but I suppose nowadays people use some fancy electronic gadget to
measure density?


*Frank Kroger, fkroger at, (volunteer) Seattle WA US 
** World Neighbors: Strengthening the capacity of
***  marginalized communities to meet their basic needs.


More information about the Ag-forst mailing list