Searching for TREE PLANTING PROGRAMS

Al Stangenberger forags at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Aug 5 00:07:28 EST 1996

Steve McCrea (71524.2372 at CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: TREE PLANTING PROGRAMS
: I'm looking for a list of tree planting programs.  I'm compiling a book about eco-travel and my conceptis this:
: if you fly or drive, you are putting carbon dioxide into the air.
: you can absorb this CO2 by sponsoring trees.

True, growing biomass does sequester CO2.  However, it's debatable how effective
this is in terms replacing carbon "withdrawn" from long-term geologic storage.
Wood decomposes in a very short (geologically speaking) time.  A piece of wood
is probably very lucky to avoid decay for a century, which is insignificant
compared to the millions of years fossil fuel carbon has been in storage.
Maybe if we grew lumber and stockpiled it at the South Pole where it would not
rot..