what are we about?

Mark A. Hunt mhunt at postoffice.newnham.utas.edu.au
Sun Aug 18 13:10:04 EST 1996

In article <32160D37.719B at vgernet.net> Joseph Zorzin <redoak at vgernet.net> writes:
>From: Joseph Zorzin <redoak at vgernet.net>
>Subject: Re: what are we about?
>Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 14:19:35 -0400

>Steele Haughton wrote:
>>
>> >   Dear ag-forst netters,  The potential of this net  to provide a useful
>> > platform for ....blah blah ..

I've been trying for a couple of months to raise some interest in flaming
these people and perhaps to drown their rubbish by getting some RELEVANT
posting happening on this newsgroup. I have posted rather abusive messages to
all of the newsgroups where this crossposting is happening as well as some
more polite pleas (these came first).

No-one seems to care.

Whilst I can understand a general distrust of moderated groups, I do not feel
that this group has a sensible future unless some rigorous vetting of material
is introduced. Whilst some will say that most newsgroup viewers can be
configured to ignore cross-posts, I would imagine that many potential users of
this group would not necessarily have the backup or expertise to sort these
things out (or maybe even access to such a viewer - I don't).
It is not only cross-posts that are the problem anyway.

Is there substantial support for serious moderation? And if so are there any
volunteers? I've noted some regular posters to this group who seem to be
level-headed and fair-minded in their comments.

Cheers, Mark