Biodiversity

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Wed Aug 28 21:29:06 EST 1996

In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.960722020641.14238C-100000 at freenet.vcu.edu> David Beorn <dbeorn at freenet.vcu.edu> writes:
>From: David Beorn <dbeorn at freenet.vcu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Biodiversity
>Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:29:46 -0400

>On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Terry Brown wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:38:58 +1200
>> From: Terry Brown <tb at tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz>
>> To: David Beorn <dbeorn at freenet.vcu.edu>
>>
>> > So has anyone thought of MAKING some places they could nest???  A novel
>> > concept, I know, but maybe it would work??  Maybe it seems too simple and
>>
>> Assuming a young forest is one that someone intends to mill, you'd
>> probably have to use nesting boxes, as the 'owners' of the trees may not
>> want holes cut in them, it would be expensive to cover a whole forest.

>Right - but don't we have things called National Forests and the like
>which are not "logged" but are "managed" and left to such things as
>wildlife??  If not, how does anything survive??
>
>> > easy but has it been even tried???  I can't imagine what ELSE would be in
>> > an old-growth forest that would make them "want" to live there and/or
>
>> Predators like owls need biodiversity, plenty of small furry snacks on
>> legs, which in turn require insects and forage plants, and holes
>> themselves. Fallen trees and undergrowth which are a pain for tree
>> harvesters are required for a diverse ecosystem to develop.  You could
>> probably acclerate development by supplying holes etc., but it would be
>> expensive, and if you're working with a clear-felled area, would take
>> time for re-immigration of prey species etc., young growth forests are
>> usually as close to mono-culture as possible, and low diversity is often
>> most serious for things at the top of the food chain.
>>
>> Cheers -tb

>> Terry Brown                  Lincoln Environmental
>> B.Sc.(Hons) Microbiology     Ph. +64 7 838 5901 Wk 855 9001 Hm
>> Ph.D. Biological Simulation  Fax +64 7 838 5372
>> Private Bag 3062 Hamilton    email: brown at lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz
>> NEW ZEALAND                  http://tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz/~tb
>>

>         *-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^
>        *        David Beorn, david.beorn at pobox.com (internet)        *
>        *        Virginia FREENET                                     *
>         *-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^

>~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'

Uh, don't want to jump into the conversation, but.......

Young growth forests are usually as close to mono-culture as possible, for
Crop Species.  In the south the monoculture exists in later dates of
development. Actually, the bio-diversity of species, plant wise, can be great,
and the small furry snacks respond to clear cuts like kids to candy.
Predators are somewhat slower, but reappear rapidly.  You must consider that
man does nothing that nature has not already done, and survived.  Clear cuts
repeat natural disasters such as fire and hurricanes.  Under management the
south, at least, has more game animals, and probably more timber, than 100
years ago.  Species are returning to levels that have not existed in that 100
years.  Beaver and alligator responded to stopping the hunting, not the
bio-non-diversity.  Eagles from pesticides, big cats from over hunting, bears
from over hunting. etc.

spotted owl a good example.  There numbers swell in clear cut areas, more
mice.  The northern spotted owl apparently was never endangered, but a
terroristic environmentalist knee jerk reaction to shut down the forests.

The red cockaded wood pecker is managed by creating holes (with boxes!) in
existing trees.

Amazing, isn't it?

A foresters 2 cents worth.