Planetary Re-Education: HEMP SAVES WORLD

Will Lockwood WillLockwood at connect.com
Thu Feb 1 14:59:30 EST 1996

alland at whidbey.com wrote:

> I have a sincere question for hemp-for-paper-pulp advocates:
>
> Why would we want to convert forests, which have many wonderful attributes
> besides producing wood for pulp, to hemp plantations, which seem rather monotonous
> to me?

Simply so that we can leave our forests intact, especially old-growth
forests. I consider the extensive clear cutting done in the west
monotonous and depressing. Before the early 20th century, hemp was the
primary source of fibre for industry. Making paper and fiber products
from trees is much more energy and waste intensive.