Planetary Re-Education: HEMP SAVES WORLD

Marino Segnan segnan at aioeoio.Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Feb 6 12:12:08 EST 1996

In article <4f7397$ers at ulysses.midtown.net> alnev at midtown.net (A.J.) writes:
>alland at whidbey.com wrote:
>
>>At any rate, deforestation occurs when forests are valued less than some other
>>use. If they can provide an economic return for their owner, the owner will
>>ensure their continued existence. Don't support hemp because you think it will
>>"save" forests. It will do just the opposite.
>
>I'm not a hemp fan, but I wish the timber industry would admit that
>forests are destined to shrink with 90 million more people demanding
>their share of timber each year.  It's like mowing a lawn (of finite
>acreage) faster and faster, hoping to get an increasing number of
>grass clippings.  A losing proposition no matter how you try to gloss
>it over.
>
>Population growth is almost never discussed in the timber industry's
>"trees forever" campaigns.  All you talk about is abstract economics
>with no bottom line regarding demand growth vs. finite land acreage.

In the case of old growth forests, I think a very good approach used
by some conservation groups is to BUY the forest and set it aside,
protecting it from cutting, future legislation changes and so on.
This approach shows that the value of these forests for these groups
is bigger than the timber value for the logging companies.

marino segnan