WHOPPERS on logging

C.K.Black at massey.ac.nz C.K.Black at massey.ac.nz
Mon Feb 12 07:34:16 EST 1996

C. Hobart Perry  (hperry at forestry.umn.edu)  replies to...
BIELECKJ at dnr.state.mi.us

>>Do us all a favor and give us some sound, VIABLE alternatives to these
>>problems (and please don't say lock up all of these acres in some
>>wilderness area).  Like it or not, we are a wood using society and will
>>likely remain so well into the immediate future. While I am not familiar
>>with the problems the Canadians face, I do know that the Forest
>>Management Division of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (who
>>I work for) is DEEPLY committed to maintaining and enhancing the various
>>forest ecosystems that exist over the 3.8 million acre Michigan State
>>Forest System.  Please don't make gross generalizations about the
>>Forestry profession based on what MAY be happening in one part of the
>>>world. You do yourself and your beliefs a disservice.
>
>Hear hear!! I must agree with this. I had sent a reply to Mckeantree
>directly in which I was likely to imflammatory myself. To be honest, I
>respect the efforts of those striving to protect forests from wanton waste
>and consumption.
>
>On the other hand, the forest does provide some valuable *sustainable*
>products to society when forestry is done properly. I would hope that the
>effort could be focused on weeding out the bad apples as oppposed to
>accusations and fear-mongering.

>Hobie Perry

Well said Hobie....  J. Bieleck originally asked for some 'viable'
alternatives from the nay saying anti-forestry faction and he will
have to wait 'til pigs fly for that!
  The answers to sustainable forestry ARE coming from within the industry.
I left the pastoral agriculture sector to join forestry about a year and
a half ago.  In New Zealand,  we have the erosion, silting, and water
qualities under control,  the answer is to sow harvested areas with
the right ecological mix of grass & legume seed.  Then,  you spot spray
around the replanted yearling trees.  Herbicide use is reduced, and the
N-fixed by the legume makes the trees grow faster.  The operational
problems in the USA are that you have more macro herbivores than we do.
  I was in the PNW two months ago looking to buy more legume seed for
NZ and the market was 'short',  primarily due to the fact that the US
forest industry had bought big quantities for use on fire burn areas.
Put more grass into the mixture and we can satisfy more deer, guys, and
get more seed down here,  thank you very much!
  I don't expect the "Luddites" to understand,  but I'm off for the next
3 days to look at a clear cut forest.  I'll be on site in a tent doing
a little fishing and spending my nights listening to Kiwi's call.  I'll
make sure my daughter has the same privilege.    Cheers....   CB