WHOPPERS on logging

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 12 15:06:51 EST 1996

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996 C.K.Black at massey.ac.nz wrote:

> C. Hobart Perry  (hperry at forestry.umn.edu)  replies to...
> BIELECKJ at dnr.state.mi.us
>
> >>Do us all a favor and give us some sound, VIABLE alternatives to these
> >>problems (and please don't say lock up all of these acres in some
> >>wilderness area).  Like it or not, we are a wood using society and will
> >>likely remain so well into the immediate future. While I am not familiar
> >>with the problems the Canadians face, I do know that the Forest
> >>Management Division of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (who
> >>I work for) is DEEPLY committed to maintaining and enhancing the various
> >>forest ecosystems that exist over the 3.8 million acre Michigan State
> >>Forest System.  Please don't make gross generalizations about the
> >>Forestry profession based on what MAY be happening in one part of the
> >
> >Hear hear!! I must agree with this. I had sent a reply to Mckeantree
> >directly in which I was likely to imflammatory myself. To be honest, I
> >respect the efforts of those striving to protect forests from wanton waste
> >and consumption.
> >
> >On the other hand, the forest does provide some valuable *sustainable*
> >products to society when forestry is done properly. I would hope that the
> >effort could be focused on weeding out the bad apples as oppposed to
> >accusations and fear-mongering.
>
> >Hobie Perry
>
> Well said Hobie....  J. Bieleck originally asked for some 'viable'
> alternatives from the nay saying anti-forestry faction and he will
> have to wait 'til pigs fly for that!
>   The answers to sustainable forestry ARE coming from within the industry.
> I left the pastoral agriculture sector to join forestry about a year and
> a half ago.  In New Zealand,  we have the erosion, silting, and water
> qualities under control,  the answer is to sow harvested areas with
> the right ecological mix of grass & legume seed.  Then,  you spot spray
> around the replanted yearling trees.  Herbicide use is reduced, and the
> N-fixed by the legume makes the trees grow faster.  The operational
> problems in the USA are that you have more macro herbivores than we do.
>   I was in the PNW two months ago looking to buy more legume seed for
> NZ and the market was 'short',  primarily due to the fact that the US
> forest industry had bought big quantities for use on fire burn areas.
> Put more grass into the mixture and we can satisfy more deer, guys, and
> get more seed down here,  thank you very much!
>   I don't expect the "Luddites" to understand,  but I'm off for the next
> 3 days to look at a clear cut forest.  I'll be on site in a tent doing
> a little fishing and spending my nights listening to Kiwi's call.  I'll
> make sure my daughter has the same privilege.    Cheers....   CB

Dear Mr Black:

Maybe you didn't read the original post, but the "whoppers list" was a
set of four statements which did reflect the traditional forestry
views--- that logging improves watershed values, that old-growth forests are
decaying waste areas, that salvage logging after burns speeds recovery,
etc.  Why not respond to these statements?  Simply agreeing with the
Michigan forester, and his straw man argument that "we" just want to
"lock it up" may make yopu feel good but solves nothing.  The permanent
loss of primary forest acreage, and the biological diversity it
represents (most of which we know little about) is riminally short sighted.
These areas do need to be saved; for some reason, you apparently agree
with the Michigan forester that this is an extreme, unscientific
("Luddite") view.  Why not respond to the factual issues so that a real
exchange of ideas can occur?  By the way, if being a Luddite means trying
to expose the rotten core of traditional forest management, that has a
belief system that forests must be logged everywhere or trees will be
"wasted"I'm all for being a Luddite; I'll just append the moniker to my
graduate degrees (in forest ecology).

			Regards, Dave Braun