WHOPPERS on logging

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:47:52 EST 1996

Dear "Bieleck"

The "whoppers" list was an off the cuff selection of positions often
taken by representatives of the timber industry and forest management
agencies.  These positions reflect a belief that if a resource can be
used, it should be, that forests best use is fiber production, that so
long as trees regenerate, forests are being wisely managed.  There is a
vast disconnect between these positions and the possibility of
maintaining long-term biodiversity and ecosytem functioning--- goals
which the above mentioned either don't understand or care about.
However, there is a growing concensus among forest ecologists and some
foresters that the old way is not the best way for long-term site
sustainability for timber values either.  If you would care to read up on
forest ecosystem research done over the last 10 years you might grasp the
fact that the solution is not to "lock it up".  Why don't you get a
little more specific as to rebuting the arguments contained in the
"whoppers"?  None of them actually said "lock it up"; they addressed the
short comings of the old "timber primacy" approach, and brought to light
the fallacies that many old-school foresters still promote.

On 9 Feb 1996 BIELECKJ at dnr.state.mi.us wrote:

> >   "D. Braun" <dbraun at u.washington.edu> writes:
> >

> >  On 7 Feb 1996, Mckeantree wrote:
> >
> >  > Hey people here is something from WCWC Canada:
> >  >
> >  > Three BIG Whoppers about forestry:
> >  >
> >  >

> >  Lets have some more......
> >

> Do us all a favor and give us some sound, VIABLE alternatives to these problems (and please don't say lock up all of these acres
> in some wilderness area).  Like it or not, we are a wood using society and will likely remain so well into the immediate future.
> While I am not familiar with the problems the Canadians face, I do know that the Forest Management Division of the Michigan
> Department of Natural Resources (who I work for) is DEEPLY committed to maintaining and enhancing the various forest
> ecosystems that exist over the 3.8 million acre Michigan State Forest System.  Please don't make gross generalizations about the
> Forestry profession based on what MAY be happening in one part of the world.  You do yourself and your beliefs a disservice.

Where have you been? Can you spell "deforestation"?  The coastal
old-growth forests of the northwest have been reduced to small remanant
patches; in fact, in all of  the northwestern US, there are no watersheds
which reach the sea that are completely cloaked in primary forest.  The
only sensible way to manage the region is to preserve "lock-up" if you
will, what remnants are left of the once-vast primary forests here.  I
might add that far from being an extremist position, this conclusion is
well supported by what is known to datye in the fields of forest ecology,
conservation biology, and landscape ecology. By the way, since you chose
to list your credentials, I'm MFS Yale 1986, Ph.D. Candidate Univ. Wash.