Nitrogen-fixing in Agroforestry

Mark Towner mkt at dce.vic.gov.au
Tue Feb 13 00:17:18 EST 1996

Netscape User <heisnk at ucs.orst.edu> wrote:

>I'm looking for information or ideas on nitrogen-fixing trees in use or with potential use in
>Western Oregon Agroforestry systems- this is for a term paper and I' would appreciate any help.

Accacias(wattles) are indeed valued here in Australia for their
nitrogen fixing abilities. I do not know however of any example of
them being grown in rotation nor as companion plants with
agroforrestry trees. I would have thought that artificial nitrogenous
fertilisers would have been far more economical than sacrificing
growth rates and overall soil fertility to growing of nitrogen fixing
trees.
Cheers
River Landcare Officer
Glenelg Waterways Project