How many trees?

Douglas Watson watson3 at cyberhighway.net
Wed Feb 21 09:41:22 EST 1996

jack.perdue at afpe.com wrote:

Jack, Trees are harvested for pulp (paper).  The total tree mass is
made into paper.  Your approach is good, but "residue from lumber" is
from a tree that has been harvested.  All of the products a harvested
tree can be made into are the end result.  So paper is just one
product, even part of the recycle of other items.

> > I am not sure this is the correct forum to post this question but here it
> > goes anyway - How many trees would have to be destroyed to produce
> > 563,000 sheets of copy paper?  This question was presented in our employee
> > newsletter by our director... who by the way does not recycle...hopefully
> > the answer will shock him into changing his ways.  Thanks,

>I think the answer may shock you. Actually, the answer is probably NONE!
>Much of the fiber that goes into making paper is residues from lumber
>manufacturing. The forest products industry must be very efficient today and
>uses everything from the tree. What doesn't go into lumber is chipped and used
>to make paper. The bark is used for mulch around your house. The sawdust is
>used for animal bedding or mixed into the mulch.

>Now, that doesn't mean that recycling isn't a good idea - it is. But it isn't
>so much a thing to SAVE trees but to save landfills. The waste is going
>somewhere. Trees are our only renewal resource. Harvest then regenerate. We
>have more trees today than we did 40 years ago, because we can manage our
>forests. But landfills are a limited resource. They fill up. Put the waste
>paper back into the paper, not into the landfill.

>And if you check it out, most of the recycled paper is mixed with virgin fiber
>(non-recycled). The best  quality papers come from virgin fibers. Even the
>Sierra Club has printed its calendars on virgin fiber.

>Hope this helps.

>--Jack

>   The American Forest Products Exchange
>                                                 Modem: 410-827-5631 8N1
> F O R E S T  P R O D U C T S  O N L I N E       Email: admin at afpe.com
>      Computerized Marketing Services             Info: info at afpe.com

Pacific Northwest Property  -  a web page easy to use

http://www.cyberhighway.net/~watson3

Doug Watson