Environmental Science Project for Handicapped Students

phil at foresnt.com phil at foresnt.com
Sat Jan 13 17:41:54 EST 1996

We are engaged in a science education research and development effort under funding from the U.S. Department of
Education.  Our project focuses on using Internet-based curricula and resources to supplement science education for
physically disabled precollegiate students. Our initial work focuses on visually and hearing impaired students, with the test
population located at the West Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind.  Our project involves teaming students with mentors
for a one month effort involving original research in environmental sciences (forest ecosystems) and the establishment of an
on-line referred journal to report the results of their work.  We are seeking mentors for this effort. Mentors should have a strong
background in science, although it is not necessary that it be in environmental sciences.  Mentors are sought who have
experience in use of computer models in science, publication and editing, and the management of R&D efforts.  Mentors with
environmental science experience are, of course, also being sought.  The project will occur in March and the workload on
mentors should be modest, ranging from two to eight hours over the month of e-mail interactions.   We are also seeking sites
(Web only) which contain environmental data or environmental science material to which we can refer students.

Thank you for your help
Phil Speser,
Principal Investigator