Tulip poplar

arne at snowcrest.net arne at snowcrest.net
Mon Jan 22 22:21:35 EST 1996

forest205 at aol.com (Forest205) wrote:

> Actually, the use of Tulip poplar for this composite lumber will lessen
> demand for old growth trees. Most of the wood used for this new lumber
> system is shaved into chips and then laid in a pattern that maintains high
> wood strength. This new lumber is being used to replace large wood beams
> that must come from bigger older growth trees.
>
> The timber used for this is coming from thinnings and other intermediate
> cuts, where the landowner cuts the "poorer" wood to let the better trees
> grow. So if this is all done right, this new plant can end up improving
> the forests in your area.

Interesting...

What areas will tulip poplar thrive in the US?  When
can you harvest?  I assume you are addressing OSB as
a primary end use...

Carolina Pacific International, Inc. is on a similar
track with regard to the promotion of an extremely
fast-growing patent-applied-for variety of paulownia.

First possible harvest for most southern US plantations
would be at the end of the fourth growing season; trees
should have in excess of thirty feet of meaningful growth
and a DBH exceeding eight inches.  Growth in colder parts
of the US will be slower.

I invite you to visit my rather primitive home page:

http://www.groupz.net/moneytree/

I welcome your comments and suggestions; we may be on some
common ground, the result being beneficial to all.

Best,

Fred Wright
Carolina Pacific
Aiken, SC
fwright at groupz.net
End use: OSB or veneer for chords and/or webs of structural joists. It thrives
East of the Mississippi & South of New England. See "Silvic of Trees of the
United States", USDA-FS. Average site would yield 3300 cu.ft./ac. after 50
yrs, And 4400 cu.ft./ac after 60 yrs. This seems like good practice assuming
the site is promptly regenerated.
-Ane Hultgren, Mt.Shasta, California