history of sylviculture?

Joseph Zorzin redoak at vgernet.net
Fri Jun 21 16:02:03 EST 1996

Frank W. Telewski wrote:

> Is anyone aware of any texts or comprehensive review articles which
> address the history and development of sylviculture, specifically
> from an artificial regeneration prespective in the U.S. or from
> a global prespective?
>
> Frank W. Telewski
> Assistant Professor, Curator W.J. Beal Botanical Garden and
>  Campus Woody Plant Collection
> Michigan State University
> East Lansing, MI  48824
> telewski at cpp.msu.edu

I've been a forestry consultant for 20 years and have never seen a
"history of silviculture", just different bits of information that were
in my various textbooks. But I haven't been in contact with academic
forestry so there may be something out there.

My understanding is that silviculture goes back to central Europe in the
middle ages. Supposedly many of the old records are still extant.

I hope someone can give a reference- preferably an online reference for
what you're looking for- as I'd be interested also.