How many trees?

Thomas Kellar tkellar at FSP.FSP.COM
Mon Mar 11 16:20:59 EST 1996

> Does bias exist in everyone??  Certainly.  Does that mean that TRUE
> science can't rest on FACTS instead of a PREFERENCE for "leaving the earth
> alone" and/or believing that "the earth knows better", which while maybe
> is not stated in those terms is what *I* would perceive as Dave Braun's
> position - No, it does not mean that.  I think this is a foolish position
> and true science bears this out.
>
> There are always some exceptions to rules but by and large MOST things
> managed responsibly by INTELLIGENCE are better off than things left to
> themselves (2nd law of thermodynamics - things tend toward greatest
> disorder i.e. rust, loss of energy, etc.) as some suppose is better for
> "nature".  Does my philosophy of life affect my decisions??  Certainly.
> Does it make me ignore the facts that are there for all to see??  Not at
> all - even if I don't like the facts, I can't change them and don't try.

I am not going to speculate who really wrote the above two paragraphs but I
feel a strong need to comment:

1. What is "true science"?  I believe that one thought among some scientists
and mathematicians is that our beliefs and thought processes very much
influence what the facts are seen to be.  In my opinion, there is no such
thing as "true science".  There are existent sets of hypotheses that might
fit nicely into a (sometimes explicitly stated) pre-defined framework but
that is all.

2. That things are "managed responsibly by INTELLIGENCE are better off..." is a
highly non-scientific statement, it is in my opinion an opinion.

3. The 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply to anything but what
is concerned with  i.e., gases in textbooks. I believe that religious
zealots sometimes try to use it (misapplied) to disprove evolution.

Thomas
--
Thomas Kellar      Tkellar at Dayton.fsp.com
    How can I wear the harness of toil, and sweat at the daily round,