Biodiversity

Ed Fredrickson edwardfr at snowcrest.net
Tue Mar 19 21:39:18 EST 1996

Pardon me, but I beg to differ.  We do know something about losing
species, ever heard of dinosaurs?  We lose species every day many we
don't even know about.  It's called evolution.  I recently heard an
interesting talk given by a paleantologist who made the comment that
species will go extinct and that it is o.k.  Its a natural part of
evolution.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be a balance in nature but
on the contrary to your comments the thing we do not now about is going
to major extremes to preserve a steady state ecosystem.  Also your sit
back and do nothing approach just doesn't cut.

				Ed

In article <4i4i3p$qqg at lace.colorado.edu>, w_fox at cc.colorado.edu
says...

>        There is a lot of controversy surrounding the plight of the
Northern
>spotted owl.  But is preservation of old growth forests only about
protecting
>owls?  The owl is an indicator species for the overall ehalth of a
forest.  It
>is important to monitor its progress so that we can ensure that the
forests are
>being managed sustainably and are able to provide for a variety of
uses such as
>timber harvesting, recreation, and species diversity.
>        By conserving all species, we are ensuring that the world will
>continue to function in a manner we are familiar with and for which we
are
>adapted.  We will be in for no surprises.  If we choose not to
conserve
>species, we are entering an unknown realm.  We do not know how the
earth will
>react with fewer species of reptiles, birds, mammals, fishes.  How
will basic
>cycles be affected?  It could happen that life as we know it will
engage in a
>downward spiral and cease to exist.  Life could also go on and we
could survive
>relying on geneticists and chemists to recreate the natural things
that we have
>destroyed but still rely upon to persist as a species.
>        We do not know what the future holds.  But one thing is for
>certain...we do not have the luxury of making the wrong decision.
Right now we