pruning to 28 feet

fore057 at canterbury.ac.nz fore057 at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Mar 30 16:56:13 EST 1996

In <4jin0q$fgm at cc-server9.massey.ac.nz>, A.S.Chamove at massey.ac.nz (Arnold Chamove) writes:
>In article <4jih1d$ebh at cantua.canterbury.ac.nz>, fore057 at canterbury.ac.nz
>says...

>>In <4jac7j$udq at useneta1.news.prodigy.com>, ZZBY63A at prodigy.com (Sherman
>Finch) writes:
>>>I've seen reports that the radiata pine in New Zealand is being pruned to
>>>30 feet or more. How is this done by climbing or by some kind of ground
>>>rig?

>there is also a chain saw for sale with the motor at the base, and a long pole
>holding the chain, and the cutting blade at the very top,

I wouldn't recommend it though.  It seems like a good idea until
you compare the quality of the job done by a ladder and shears
with that of a small chainsaw on a pole.  There are also the
questions of noise, fumes and downtime with mechanised devices
which have so far scuttled attempts at mechanisation.

One exception is the use of small hand-held chainsaws.  If you are
pruning late or on an exceptionally fertile site and you are
prepared to carry the cost of someone learning to prune with a
chainsaw (some hacked up trees) and the risk of injury, then you
might consider it.  There have even been cases of people pruning
with chainsaws from ladders!  I suspect our new Occupational
Safety and Health laws might have put a stop to it.  Does anyone
know if this is still happening?

Regards,
Euan

Dr Euan G. Mason                    Silviculture, Modelling and
Senior Lecturer                     Decision-support systems
School of Forestry
University of Canterbury            New Zealand's professional
Christchurch, New Zealand           Forestry School