windthrow

Arnold Chamove A.S.Chamove at massey.ac.nz
Sat Mar 30 02:20:59 EST 1996

>>WE found that on high-wind sites, ripping (we thought it would aid root
>>development and deep rooting) loosened the soil to such an extent that most
>>trees were lost.

>Could you please post some more details, and a reference?  I have
>conducted several studies, and I could quote others in NZ, where
>ripping has resulted in deeper root development and lessened wind
>risk.
>
>How old were your trees when they were windthrown?

We did this ourselves as we have a VERY (underlined) windy site, so windy that
almost nothing grows--we've tried gorse, radiata, corsican pine, flax,  This
year we are trying broom, manuka, rugosa,

We had hoped that ripping might aid root development, but the trees seemed to
"swirrel around" making a little funnel in the earth. they were planted at 1
year and died before their second birthday.  Sad but true.

This is in a site where wind is the limiting factor, at the top of a range of
hills.  We get poor grass growth on the plateau of these hills, so we think we
needed some shelter.

Any ideas on what species to try?  Could use some help.  I'll try anything.

Arnold Chamove ; Massey University Psychology Dept; Palmerston North; N.Z.
E-mail: A.S.Chamove at Massey.ac.NZ;  FAX: +(64)350 5673;   Phone: +(64)25 460092
http://WWW.massey.ac.nz/~PsyWeb/staff/Chamove.htm