pruning to 28 feet

fore057 at canterbury.ac.nz fore057 at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Mar 30 00:32:29 EST 1996

In <4jac7j$udq at useneta1.news.prodigy.com>, ZZBY63A at prodigy.com (Sherman Finch) writes:
>I've seen reports that the radiata pine in New Zealand is being pruned to
>30 feet or more. How is this done by climbing or by some kind of ground
>rig? I have client that is interested in pruning his pine to at least 28
>feet. Any information would be appreciated.

We often prune trees to 6 m, using a ladder and long-handled
pruning shears. For large branches pruners use what we call a
jacksaw, which is a triangular bow saw, with one end of the
triangle next to the handle.  The other, pointed end can easily
fit between branches.  We would not prune all 6 m at one time,
because this would result in large branches and a very large
defect core lower on the stem.  A schedule with three separate
lifts at three different ages is quite common, and each tree is
pruned to a height which suits its size when it is pruned.

A few people are pruning up to 8 or 9 m on exceptionally fertile
sites, but I don't know how they are getting up that high, and it
has yet to be demonstrated that the last lift will generate a net
profit.

We have found that saws on poles are very exhausting and result in
the pruner being too far from the saw to do an accurate job.
Never-the-less, we sometimes have non-forestry people suggesting
this "innovation".

Regards,
Euan

Dr Euan G. Mason                    Silviculture, Modelling and
Senior Lecturer                     Decision-support systems
School of Forestry
University of Canterbury            New Zealand's professional
Christchurch, New Zealand           Forestry School