fore057 at fore057 at
Sat Mar 30 00:16:21 EST 1996

In <4j58fo$ho3 at>, A.S.Chamove at (Arnold Chamove) writes:
>>> If a low nitrogen, high K fertilizer were used, it should inhibit the
>>> in height but stimulate the root development.

>WE found that on high-wind sites, ripping (we thought it would aid root
>development and deep rooting) loosened the soil to such an extent that most
>trees were lost.

Could you please post some more details, and a reference?  I have
conducted several studies, and I could quote others in NZ, where
ripping has resulted in deeper root development and lessened wind

How old were your trees when they were windthrown?

Dr Euan G. Mason                    Silviculture, Modelling and
Senior Lecturer                     Decision-support systems
School of Forestry
University of Canterbury            New Zealand's professional
Christchurch, New Zealand           Forestry School
                Running at Warp speed with OS/2