Properties of some Asian woods for apartment floor....?

Chris Fama Chris.Fama at soton.ac.uk
Wed May 1 10:56:42 EST 1996

Hi!

I've had the following message from a relative of mine:

"Do you have any contacts in the Botany department who could find out
for me what the following species are:

Shorea Obtusa
Ormosia
Sindora Siamensis

I would like to know what the common name are (if any) and what type of wood. I
have been offered the choice as parquet for my apartment floor in Bangkok but
can't find a translation into English except for these species names."

Alas, I have no Botany contacts, nor has a web search turned up
anything really useful, nor the local Biological Sciences library.

Can anyone point me to some information that is likely to be useful?
E.g., references, web-sites.....   I apologise for the vagueness of
the request ("e.g., type of wood" - !), but I imagine that your guess
as to what someone choosing woods for an apartment floor is interested
in would be as good as mine!  (My relative is moving to Bangkok from
London later this year.  He loves the place.  [I've never been
there..... someday ....!])

I don't know whether our local newsfeed carries these groups, but
probably would miss followups, so I'd *really* appreciate either
summary of any replies, though.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Chris

|   Chris Fama, PhD student and opera fan             Chris.Fama at soton.ac.uk  |
|   Australian National University student visiting the Faculty of Maths,     |
|_____Uni._of_Southampton,_Soton_SO17_1BJ,_England._Fax_(+44/0)(1703) 59 5147_|
| A tree there is that from its topmost bough / Is half all glittering        |
| flame and half all green / Abounding foliage moistened with the dew; /      |
| And half is half and yet is all the scene; / And half and half consume      |
| what they renew, / And he that Attis' image hangs between / That            |
| staring fury and the blind lush leaf / May know not what he knows, but      |
| knows not grief.         - VACILLATION, by William Butler Yeats, II         |
+--My-home-is-page-at--- http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~fama/Chris_Fama.html ----+
|   Chris Fama, PhD student and opera fan             Chris.Fama at soton.ac.uk  |
|   Australian National University student visiting the Faculty of Maths,     |
|_____Uni._of_Southampton,_Soton_SO17_1BJ,_England._Fax_(+44/0)(1703) 59 5147_|
| Cat! who hast passed thy grand climacteric, / How many mice and rats        |
| hast in thy days / Destroyed?  How many tit-bits stolen?  Gaze / With       |
| those bright languid segments green, and prick / Those velvet ears --       |
| but prithee do not stick / Thy latent talons in me, and up-raise / Thy      |
| gentle mew, and tell me all thy frays / Of fish and mice, and rats and      |
| tender chick. / Nay, look not down, nor lick thy dainty wrists - / For      |
| all the wheezy asthma, and for all / Thy tail's tip is nicked off, and      |
| though the fists / Of many a maid have given thee many a maul, / Still      |
| is that fur as soft as when the lists / In youth thou enteredst on          |
| glass-bottled wall.                 - Keats, "To Mrs Reynold's Cat"         |
+--My-home-is-page-at--- http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~fama/Chris_Fama.html ----+