How to get Giant Sequoias to Germany? (fwd)

Larry Daley daleyl at bcc.orst.edu
Tue May 21 12:02:23 EST 1996

Profax:

Here in Corvallis, Oregon it is possible to buy locally all three
sequoias: coastal, sierra and dawn.  These fast growing trees are found
growing all over town.  There is even a local character who hates sierra
(Giant Sequoias) sequoias and wants them all cut down, however most people
here really care for these trees, so there is no way he is going to get
this done. The best local nursery stocks all three species including some
of their most some interesting horticultural variants, the address is:

Sandy and Don Powell
Garland Nursery
5470 NE Highway 20
Corvallis, OR 97330  USA
(541) 753-6601

I talked to Sandy Powell and she suggested that you call or write to:
Drakes Crossing Nursery,
19774 Grade Road South East,
Silverton, OR 97381 USA
(503) 873 4932, Fax (503) 873 6289

Drakes Crossing Nursery is a wholesale operation and is where Sandy
and Don get some of their seedlings.

Sierra and dawn sequoias are more hardy than coastal sequoias.  If you
are really serious, it is possible to select by microcalorimetry the
hardiest coastal sequoias you can contact Professor Richard S. Criddle
(rscriddle at ucdavis.edu).  Professor Criddle will soon be giving a talk on
this topic at the Redwood Conference.

best wishes

larry daley