Plywood as mulch question

Alfred Falk falk at arc.ab.ca
Thu May 23 08:45:08 EST 1996

Does anyone have any information on use of shredded plywood as mulch for
newly planted trees?
A local nurseryman likes to use it because he gets it free and it's clean
with respect to insects, bacteria, etc.  However, for projects on city
property, the city requires shredded tree bits, and won't approve the
shredded plywood unless someone can show them evidence that it's safe.

The issue, I think, would come down to the phenolic resin which holds the
plywood together.  I understand the raw materials for making it are nasty
stuff to ingest or inhale, but that's not too relevant.  Does it pose an
environmental hazard, is it inert, or does it break down into something
benign?

Alfred Falk                       falk at arc.ab.ca              A L B E R T A
Information Systems Dept          (403) 450-5185            R E S E A R C H
Box 8330, Station F                                           C O U N C I L
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6H 5X2
http://saturn.arc.ab.ca/~falk/                     http://www.arc.ab.ca/