Question + more questions

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Nov 8 12:24:14 EST 1996

av08 at dial.pipex.co.za wrote:

> > Total forest area in 1987 was 4.08 Billion hectares, or 31% of the
> > global land area.
> >
> ===================================
>
> At what rate is deforestation taking place in tropical forests, and is
> this being compensated for by new commercial afforestation ?

One estimate is 10 acres a minute, but I think the rate is slowing over
the years.  Reforestation is not compensating for the loss, the land goes
into agriculture, some as primitive as the old slash and burn.

> What will the situation be like by the year 2010?

15 years is a short term prediction in forestry, but, some countries will
definitely have reached a point where they will be required to take on
long term forest management.  World politics being what they are, I dont
see any enlightened leaders taking the fore front and leading the third
world into sustained management.  We in the US and other nations
currently using sustained management should still be in good shape, but
it is a matter that needs close attention.  As our industry changes and
smaller timber is used to produce construction materials, and the pulp
industry grows, we could face some short term shortages in the mid
2000's.  We (the US) have a distinct advantage in our large land base of
timber production.  But it also points out the every growing demand for
outdoor/environmental preservation that will be with us to the end days.
 We need a government that is responsive to science, not to the
eco-freaks crys on lost paradise.

> Is the world going to experience a shortfall of timber ?
> Some countries will experience a shortfall due to short sight.  The US is
currently growing more than harvesting, that is a touch and go thing as
well since we tend to export as prices rise and demand is reduced in this
country.

> Harold

Ruminations of an old forester.