EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

Mike Asher masher at tusc.net
Sat Nov 9 16:40:41 EST 1996

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at vgernet.net> wrote:
> I have some appreciation for both sides of this case as I'm both a
> practicing forester and I'm also proud to call myself an
> environmentalist.
>
> But if the true damage was only $20,000 then why the &#@*% did the court
> award the company over a million bucks?

It's called punitive damages, and they are often awarded in cases of
intentional malice.  You don't seem to have a problem with punitive damages
against corporations.

--
Mike Asher
masher at tusc.net

"It doesn't make a lot of difference, because the organophospate acts
locallly and only kills farm workers, and most of those are Mexicans and
Negros."

     - Charles Wursta, co-founder Environmental Defense Fund, in
Congressional testimony, House Committee on Agriculture, 92nd Congress, 1st
session