EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:58:25 EST 1996

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Don Staples wrote:

> D. Braun wrote:
> >

> > to the public. The government ignores the popular law
> > of the land in a blatant sell out to a corporate interest--- and
> >

> Oh, and are you sure this is a government sale?  The last big news has
> been on the Headwaters, a purely industrial private ownership that the
> watermelons are trying to close because of it being "one of the last
> Ancient Forests".

I don't know what the action was on the part of the EF!ers that landed
them in court. Of course I am familiar with the fact that Headwaters is
private. Its also true that Maxxam got it in a leveraged buy-out, and is
maximizing cutting to pay debts--- long term local economy and
environmental quality be damned. Its also true that the redwood region was
bought up by "timber barrons" in part through fraud, by abusing the
Homestead Act and other laws in the last century.

Its also true that Hurwitz, CEO of Maxxam, is in the process of getting a
sweetheart deal from the Clinton administration-- a swap of a small
portion of Headwaters for other federal land and millions of $.  All
this while a case is pending against him because of his role in a failed
S&L costing the taxpayer several billion $.

The good and equitable decision would be for the gov. to seize all of
Maxxam's old-growth, and make it a park for all the people to enjoy for
all time. The timber workers will have to depend on the second growth economy
within a decade at the rate of cutting anyway; many taxpayers would
support a jobs program to transition them to that economy. We are not
talking about the Chrysler bail-out here.  The entire redwood region is
sorely in need of environmental retoration due to logging damage, and
many skills of the timber workers would apply. It wouldn't be just
"busy-work".

However, money talks; Hurwitz has stated his version of the Golden Rule:
"He who has the gold, rules".  And the very same guy was seen at a bigwig
Clinton fundraiser in the last year.  Don't blame me, I voted for Nader.
BTW, your "watermellon" remark was a no-brainer. Can't you think up an
insult with a little more substance?

		Dave Braun