EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

David Whitt davwhitt at med.unc.edu
Wed Nov 13 02:13:28 EST 1996

In article <32884F8A.384D at homenet.ie>, J Zeigler  <microz at homenet.ie> wrote:
>David Whitt wrote:
>>
>> In article <01bbcf7f$c22966b0$140a6dce at tendo_dojo>,
>> R Walker <rww at neosoft.com> wrote:
>> >We live in a land of law, not emotional kneejerkism.  The EF!'s violated
>> >the law, and they got hammered for it.
>>
>> Your adoration for authority is sickening at best.  Laws, like language,
>> is fluid and changes over time.  What is right and what is legal is not
>> always the same.  Your mindset is that of a child who does not think for
>> himself and is looking for someone bigger to show the way and lead.  You
>> would have felt right at home in Germany 55 years ago.
>
>Actually David, I was thinking the same thing, except that the Nazi's
>were very adept at terrorizing the population, much like the EF!'s.
>Probably why the Jury hammered them so hard. The laws do change over
>time, and what's morally right isn't necessarily in accord with the law;
>that's one of the reasons we give a Jury in Oregon the right to decide
>on the facts AS WELL AS THE LAW.

The Nazis murdered millions of people.  I fail to see your connection
between their actions and those of EF!  As for the jury, just because a
jury decides on a case, that doesn't mean they made the right decision.
They are not fool-proof nor hardly perfect.

>Further, the child is the one who thinks he has to make the decision,
>the adult is the one that is willing to let a jury of his peers make the
>decision. Your logic is just about as faulty as it comes.

The child is the one who does not think for himself but looks to others
for guidance.  Whether that other is a jury or politician makes no
difference.  We all have to make decisions.  That is a part of life and a
part of growing up.  Once you begin, I'm sure you will realize this fact.

      ****                   David Whitt     davwhitt at med.unc.edu
     ** ***
         **                  No one can make you feel inferior
         ***                 without your consent.
         ****                                 -Eleanor Roosevelt
        ***  *
       ***   **   *          People often find it easier to be a result
      ***    ******          of the past than a cause of the future.