EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

charliew charliew at hal-pc.org
Tue Nov 12 18:59:43 EST 1996

charliew at hal-pc.org writes:
>> If you want to see a "really good recommendation", look
in
>> Scientific American, October, 1991.  There is an article
>> entitled "Soiled Shores" that describes a technique known
as
>> hydrostatic loading, in which the authors advocate
requiring
>> tankers to sail only partially loaded to prevent oil
spills.
>> Unfortunately, the authors are totally full of crap, as
>> their argument has a *big* scientific flaw in it.  Is it
any
>> wonder that people do not automatically flock to the
>> environmental viewpoint?
>
>So, what's the big scientific flaw?
>
>--John

Partially loaded tankers float higher in the water than
fully loaded tankers.  In effect, the pressure on the
outside of the tanker's hull is always higher than the
pressure on the inside of the tanker's hull, unless the
tanker's contents are pressurized with light hydrocarbons or
nitrogen.

If you want a *long* reply that I sent to the editors of
Scientific American back in 1991, I can send you the same
letter.  Assuming that you have the article in question, you
should be able to follow the discussion.

Obviously, my big complaint for such a recommendation rests
on the fact that this form of regulation is expensive, but
it doesn't affect the problem in any way.  At a minimum, if
more regulation is enacted, it should be at least moderately
effective in its action (it should partially or wholly
accomplish its goals).  Such is not the case with the
hydrostatic loading idea.

Have a nice day.