EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 14 17:50:24 EST 1996

On 14 Nov 1996, Mike Asher wrote:

> D. Braun <dbraun at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > On 14 Nov 1996, Mike Asher wrote:
> > > Why is a forest (or a swamp, for that matter) always preferable to
> cleared
> > > land, David?  Excluding some of the nicer varieties, the average tree
> is
> > > just a big weed.  We can cut them down and plant something *nicer* in
> their
> > > place-- it's called "gardening" and has a long and glorious tradition.
> >
> > Does it ever occur to you that unlike yourself, many people do not place
> > themselves at the center of life on the planet
>
> Sadly, it does.  Many hundreds of times a day, which is why I post here,
> attempting to reinforce the belief that _people_ matter more than anything.

Well, although people do matter, the fact is, the world's ecosystems will
chug along with or without people. The issue is the quality of these
ecosystems we use and depend on--- while humans are around. Valuing and
conserving ecosystems does not require that one value "bugs over people",
only that one accept that removing these "bugs", for some short term gain
may have important consequences. It may not; the ESA says that we can't
afford to take the chance-- I agree. It really is difficult to prove a
negative, before it occurs (as in extinction of species "a" will have no
effect).

> > Does it occur to you that people of this other viewpoint may have
> > sound scientific, as well as phylosphical grounds for doing so?
>
> Not when they can't spell "philosophy".  Even when they can, they are
> rarely convincing.

So sue me. I am a slippy speller. I do catch most mispelliongs if I poof
read, tho. If you actually think about the content of my posts, you might
learn something.

> > I see you are in a snit and won't reply to me--- could it be that I said
> > you were a shithead..?
>
> I post via news and mail over a hundred messages a day, and I'm in a snit,
> ignoring you?  I already told you that, if I attributed someone elses
> comment to you, I apologize.

I caught your message after posting the above. BTW, what's your excuse for
posting over a hundred messages a day? I'd say you have become a little
too obsessed with sending your opinions around the world. Been there,
done that.

		Dave Braun