EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 14 16:42:04 EST 1996

On 14 Nov 1996, Mike Asher wrote:

> David Whitt <davwhitt at med.unc.edu> wrote:
> >   Even without this
> > technology we have causes a negative impact over the years.  Lebanon and
> > Spain were once covered by forests.
>
> Why is a forest (or a swamp, for that matter) always preferable to cleared
> land, David?  Excluding some of the nicer varieties, the average tree is
> just a big weed.  We can cut them down and plant something *nicer* in their
> place-- it's called "gardening" and has a long and glorious tradition.

Does it ever occur to you that unlike yourself, many people do not place
themselves at the center of life on the planet, as the yardstick for its
"value"? Does it occur to you that people of this other viewpoint may have
sound scientific, as well as phylosphical grounds for doing so? No, I
guess not, or if you have noticed this, you simply don't understand, or
are afraid it might upset your selfish world-view.
I see you are in a snit and won't reply to me--- could it be that I said
you were a shithead, for repeatedly lying about what I said to score
propaganda points? Get a thicker skin, and be more honest.

		No apologies,

		Dave Braun