EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

Harold Brashears brshears at whale.st.usm.edu
Thu Nov 14 09:46:11 EST 1996

bds at ipp-garching.mpg.de (Bruce Scott TOK ) wrote for all to see:

>charliew (charliew at hal-pc.org) wrote:

[edited]

>Ahhh, maybe now you will comment consistenly on those attempts by
>Monsanto et al to subvert the wishes of the majority of the World's
>consumers, that genetically altered foodstuffs should be clearly
>labelled, or at minimum those who _don't_ alter food should be able to
>clearly label _that_.

How will you define "genetically altered".  I planted and grew some
tomatoes this year, and some peppers.  Both had been genetically
altered in an intensive program resulting in a fruit which did not
exist a few years ago.  Bought the seeds at Wal-Mart.

When the market sells these fruit, do you think they should be labeled
"genetically altered"?

Personally, I would prefer that, since those people lacking the
relevant information easily frightened will not buy them, thus
lowering my food bill.

[deleted]

---Regards, Harold
"We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified dramatic
statements, and make little mention of the doubts we may have.
Each of us has to find a balance between being effective and
being honest."
     - Steven Schneider, proponent of CFC-banning.
	"Our Fragile Earth", Discover, Oct. 1987. pg 47