EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

David Whitt davwhitt at med.unc.edu
Thu Nov 14 12:45:19 EST 1996

In article <01bbd1f1$46ad32e0$89d0d6cc at masher>,
Mike Asher <masher at tusc.net> wrote:
>David Whitt <davwhitt at med.unc.edu> wrote:
>> Even without this
>> technology we have causes a negative impact over the years.  Lebanon and
>> Spain were once covered by forests.
>
>Why is a forest (or a swamp, for that matter) always preferable to cleared
>land, David?  Excluding some of the nicer varieties, the average tree is
>just a big weed.  We can cut them down and plant something *nicer* in their
>place-- it's called "gardening" and has a long and glorious tradition.

First in regards to Spain and Lebanon, they were not turned into "gardens"
but are deserts or semi-deserts.  Are the timber companies planting
gardens when they destroy those "weeds" and all the creatures which call
that "weed" a home?  Excluding some of the nicer varieties, the average
human is just a big parasite.  We can cut them down and implant something
*nicer* in their place -- it's called "racial cleansing" and has a long
and glorious tradition. <--German views on the slavs to the east and their
attempt to implant German families in their sted.  While I am not meaning
to say a human and a tree are the same, we are both living creatures and
have an equal right to live.  Who are we to call a tree a weed, cut it
down, and grow a turnip in its place?  Does it have to be usefull to
mankind (not just to other animals but only to mankind) in order to be
saved?  But if it is usefull, it *is* cut down, and turned into phone
books.  But aren't all plants usefull in that they clean the air and
produce oxygen?  Aren't trees, excuse me, "weeds" the best at doing this?
Do you want our planet to be one big suburbia with only National Gardens
instead of National Forests?  Gardens can be nice in their place, but they
surely are not *nicer* than a forest.

      ****                   David Whitt     davwhitt at med.unc.edu
     ** ***
         **                  No one can make you feel inferior
         ***                 without your consent.
         ****                                 -Eleanor Roosevelt
        ***  *
       ***   **   *          People often find it easier to be a result
      ***    ******          of the past than a cause of the future.