EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 13 19:10:43 EST 1996

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, J Zeigler wrote:

> David Whitt wrote:
> >
> > The Nazis murdered millions of people.  I fail to see your connection
> > between their actions and those of EF!
>
> The point was that the Nazi's actually had a minority in Germany, but
> through the use of terrorism cowed the rest of the populace. Very
> similar to what the EF!'s were trying to do to the timber company and
> through that example, to the rest of us. You brought it up, I didn't.

"terrorism" as its commonly defined? No. "very similar" to the Nazi's?
No--and this takes poetic license a bit too far-- like into the next
galaxy.  Get real!

> >  As for the jury, just because a
> > jury decides on a case, that doesn't mean they made the right decision.
> > They are not fool-proof nor hardly perfect.
>
> No, but the alternative, if its what you seem to be suggesting, I want
> no part of.

> > The child is the one who does not think for himself but looks to others
> > for guidance.  Whether that other is a jury or politician makes no
> > difference.  We all have to make decisions.  That is a part of life and a
> > part of growing up.  Once you begin, I'm sure you will realize this fact.
>
> Haven't had any children yet have you Dave? Haven't taken any child
> psychology yet either obviously! Ever seen a kid have a tantrum because
> it wasn't done their way.

And what are you implying now? That monkey wrenching constitutes a
"tantrum" ? Care to discuss the underlying issues that the
monkey-wrenchers were taking a stand on ? You and I may disagree with the
means in this case, but the issue remains---- the fate of our public
forests.

> Once you grow up enough to 'really' start thinking for yourself and
> recognizing that living involves tradeoffs (like having to take classes
> to get ahead and work 40 hours a week instead of actively protesting, oh
> I forgot, your doing all that) then maybe you'll modify these stupid
> stances your taking.

Just a little preachy and condescending, aren't we? Now you imply that
your opponent, and by extension the EF!ers and all enviros, are
unemployed layabouts. Did it occur to you that enviros involved in
civil disobedience (only a very small minority of whom monkey-wrench)
may live off of odd jobs and gifts because they have put their
goals above their own career development? Did it alos occur to you that
others may actually have high-paying careers? Jim Jontz (D), was arrested at
a protest site. If you don't agree with the goal-- in this case, saving
the last of the US old-growth, why not debate that, and avoid slaying the
messenger?

		Dave Braun