EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 21 18:56:18 EST 1996

On 21 Nov 1996, Mike Asher wrote:

> D. Braun <dbraun at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> >

> > > Who proposed destroying every plant on the planet?  When trees are cut
> > > down, new ones are planted.  The newer trees actually grow faster, and
> > > perform far better at CO2 uptake and oxygen creation than old-growth
> > > forests.
> >
> > Propaganda.  The issue is storage of carbon in old-growth (and primary
> > forests), which can be several times greater on an area basis.  I have
> > made this point before.
>
> If the issue is carbon storage, then why do we hear all the scare stories
> about loss of trees affecting oxygen levels?

Now I have to defend/attack "all the scare stories" about other issues?

> And, carbon uptake is far greater in new growths than old.  Most harvested
> timber is not burned, and therefore keeps its carbon content indefinitely;
> the newly planted trees pull far more carbon from the air than the older
> trees they replace.  Old trees that are not harvested eventually begin to
> rot, thereby surrendering their carbon back to the environment.

I'm really tired of making this point. Read something other than your own
posts!!! "Indefinitely" is undefined, and a meaningless word with
reference to long and short term carbon storage, BTW.  How much is "far
more"? Notice that in posts on this issue, I have discussed not only
trees, but also the forest floor? (Hint--lotsa C there). Also, an 800 yr.
old Doug-fir will take several centuries to be reduced to humus. Let's
see, how many frame houses last even half that long? Did you know that
most of the carbon in a logged tree dosen't go into dimension limber at
all?

See:

Sollins, P., C. C. Grier, F. M. McCorison, K. Cromack, Jr., R. Fogel, and
R. L. Fredrickson.  1980.  The internal element cycles of an old-growth
Douglas-fir ecosystem in western Oregon.  Ecological Monographs.  50(3):
261-285.

snip

		Dave Braun