EF! Fined $1million in Idaho

D. Braun dbraun at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 21 18:56:18 EST 1996

On 21 Nov 1996, Mike Asher wrote:

> D. Braun <dbraun at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> >

> > > Who proposed destroying every plant on the planet?  When trees are cut
> > > down, new ones are planted.  The newer trees actually grow faster, and
> > > perform far better at CO2 uptake and oxygen creation than old-growth
> > > forests.
> >
> > Propaganda.  The issue is storage of carbon in old-growth (and primary
> > forests), which can be several times greater on an area basis.  I have
> > made this point before.
> If the issue is carbon storage, then why do we hear all the scare stories
> about loss of trees affecting oxygen levels?

Now I have to defend/attack "all the scare stories" about other issues?

> And, carbon uptake is far greater in new growths than old.  Most harvested
> timber is not burned, and therefore keeps its carbon content indefinitely;
> the newly planted trees pull far more carbon from the air than the older
> trees they replace.  Old trees that are not harvested eventually begin to
> rot, thereby surrendering their carbon back to the environment.

I'm really tired of making this point. Read something other than your own
posts!!! "Indefinitely" is undefined, and a meaningless word with
reference to long and short term carbon storage, BTW.  How much is "far
more"? Notice that in posts on this issue, I have discussed not only
trees, but also the forest floor? (Hint--lotsa C there). Also, an 800 yr.
old Doug-fir will take several centuries to be reduced to humus. Let's
see, how many frame houses last even half that long? Did you know that
most of the carbon in a logged tree dosen't go into dimension limber at

Sollins, P., C. C. Grier, F. M. McCorison, K. Cromack, Jr., R. Fogel, and
R. L. Fredrickson.  1980.  The internal element cycles of an old-growth
Douglas-fir ecosystem in western Oregon.  Ecological Monographs.  50(3):

		Dave Braun