Geese eating roses and other plants

MASONE at MASONE at
Mon Oct 28 21:24:22 EST 1996

In <32738FE5.53D0 at imagine-hawaii.com>, Webmaster <webmaster at imagine-hawaii.com> writes:
>We have 18 geese running loose on our little farm.  It is nice that they
>keep the grass short, but they also like to eat the new banana plants,
>roses, etc.

>Short of building a fence around the geese or the plants, is there
>thing I can plant or a chemical I can apply that will discourage
>the geese from mutilating these other plants?

We don't have a goose problem here.  We do, however, have a rabbit
problem, and we spray our seedlings with a mixture of egg powder,
latex, and water.  The egg powder smells terrible, and the rabbits
hate it.  The latex helps it stay around a while.

Regards,
Euan

Dr Euan G. Mason                    Silviculture, Modelling and
Senior Lecturer                     Decision-support systems
School of Forestry
University of Canterbury            New Zealand's professional
Christchurch, New Zealand           Forestry School
   Home page: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/fore/EUAN.HTM