Rainforest/Agro Proj DIRS & Volunteers [Brazil/Africa]

crw crw at loop.com
Wed Oct 30 11:35:18 EST 1996

Non-profit educational/tech-transfer 501(c)(3) IRS status

Hi!

Any help with sharing this info with key persons and organizations on
campuses would we be greatly appreciated.  We would be happy for any help.

Thanks a lot!

Cecil

<-----------------------------> CUT <------------------------------->

RE: Project DIRECTORS & VOLUNTEERS / Applications now due

    Apply OnLine

TO:  The Campus Community
        President
        Deans
        Department Heads
        Students/Faculty/Staff
        Alumni

Greetings:

We would be especially grateful for any help in announcing to your campus
community (students, faculty, staff and alumni) that application is open for
Project Directors and Volunteer positions in Operation Crossroads' Summer
'97 Program.  We will operate in 20 countries -- in Africa and South
America.

Information and applications are available by sending an E-Mail request to
the addresses below.

We anticipate around 25 projects and a need for 250 volunteers.

This year marks our 40th Anniversary.  We would be particularly grateful to
have participation from your campus.

Thank you.

                            Best regards,

                            LaVerne Brown &
                            Cecil Washington

                            crw at loop.com
                            oca at igc.apc.org

                            Tel: 212-870-2106

    ** Dr. Osei Darkwa, Faculty, University of Illinois, Chicago **

Distance Learning/Electronic Education: rural and urban K12 and beyond;
         providing cost-effective education via international educational
         networking

For a special UPDATE on the Computer Literacy/Distance Learning Prog in
         Ghana, plz send E-Mail with "Ghana: Distance Learning UPDATE"
         in the Subject field to:

               "Ghana: Distance Learning UPDATE" <crw at loop.com>

          This project is under the directorship of Dr. Osei Darkwa

Rainforest, Ecology and the Environment: Africa & Brazil

    B r a z i l i a n    R a i n F o r e s t    P r o j e c t s

                      << B   A   H   I   A >>

One of the sites under consideration is the Mata Atlantica (Coastal Forest)
area in the Southern Cone of the State of Bahia. This is a place where local
poor communities are struggling to gain access to land via articulated
political effort. There are over a dozen officially recognized Land Reform
Settlemnts in this region, and the former landless peasants are willing now
to promote efforts to save the remnants of this unique patch of rich,
bio-diverse forest, as well as to secure their access to land by changing
the situation of Land Tenure in that area.

We have been recently contacted by leaders of these communities seeking help
with the various projects they deem vital. These projects will include
programs concerning Reforestation, Youth Development, Education and
Training, as well as Ecological Projects.

       [Dr. Edmundo Freitas Lopes-Researcher/Project Developer]

[I N T'L  S T U D I E S]  [W O R K-T R A V E L]  [I N T E R N S H I P S]

PROJECTS / RESEARCH / AREAS OF FOCUS
------------------------------------

Ecology & Environment..Engineering/Building..Traditional Medicine..Oral
History..Primary Care..Archaeology..Community Dev..Reforestation..Media
Distance Learning..Art..Ethnomusicology..Public Health..Construction
Wildlife..Humanities..Computer Literacy..Agriculture/Farming
Teaching/Tutoring..Business Dev..African/Brazilian Language Study
Youth Programs..Recreation..Traditional Religion..Anthropology

C O U N T R I E S: Botswana, The Gambia, Ghana, Eritrea, Ivory Coast,
Kenya, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Brazil
(in South America). Additional countries & projects to be announced

    C E L E B R A T I N G    C U L T U R E    A N D    H I S T O R Y

       GLOBAL VOLUNTEERS :    A f r i c a    &    B r a z i l

*** This year's theme: "Africa & Brazil, marching into the 21st Century"

         "...Promoting economic development, ecological wisdom, social
           justice, grassroots democracy and non-violent solutions..."

                            Summer 1997

                     Living/Working/Traveling
                Internships/Field Work/Group Projects
                        Independent Study

                    The Forgotten Human Face

H o w   t o   g e t   V o l u n t e e r   I n f o    b y    E - M a i l :

           1] include your full street address, in case our
                    equipment malfunctions

           2] E-Mail your request to   <<B O T H>>   addresses:

  =>              "Brochure\Application" <crw at loop.com>           <=
    =>        "Summer Prog: Africa\Brazil" <oca at igc.apc.org>    <=

            Include  " --V O L U N T E E R-- "  in the SUBJECT field

                ...or contact our office directly
                        by letter or phone

A L L   A R E   W E L C O M E

Project  D I R E C T O R S / Group  L E A D E R S  go thru a separate
     application process with earlier deadlines (min. age, 26 - with
     relevant expertise, experience directing group projects, living
     and/or travel experience in Africa or similar setting), experience
     leading multi-racial/ethnic work projects or groups

     To receive the application and job description, snail mail us,
     or send an E-Mail request to <BOTH>:

       =>         "Proj Dir\Info" <oca at igc.apc.org>,       <=
         =>        "Proj Dir\Packet" <crw at loop.com>      <=

     1) with a brief description of your interests & background

           [send us your snail mail address, phone & E-Mail]

     2) include   "  --L E A D E R--  "    in the SUBJECT field

-Since 1957, 10,000 Crossroads participants (students, professionals,
     persons with skills, persons of goodwill..and others) representing
     over 500 universities, colleges, organizations, etc., have come
     together to work for a better world

-Students usually arrange with their schools to receive credit for their
     summer experience (typically 7 to 15 units)

-Cited by President Kennedy for providing the example that "inspired" the
     creation of the Peace Corps, and on which the Peace Corps was
     modeled

APPLICATION DEADLINE:  Due now & during the coming weeks->cut off has not
                          yet been announced

                       Late applications **WILL** be accepted
                          but only as space and time permit

                =>     It's important to submit the application ASAP & to
                          reserve a place

                       Crossroads assists Volunteers in raising funds
                          for their travel/living expenses

PROGRAM DATES:         End of June/early July through mid-August
                          (approx dates)

ORIENTATION:           There will be a several-day Orientation in New
                          York prior to leaving. The program starts from
                          & ends in New York

-This is an INTENSE living, work and learning experience at the grassroots
     level in Africa & Brazil where some of the modern conveniences taken
     for granted in Western countries, will not be present

-Crossroads Volunteers go to Africa & Brazil NOT to impose their own
     Western values, but to seek comprehension of counterpart
     values; they are challenged to adjust to local ways of doing many
     things

  O P E R A T I O N   C R O S S R O A D S   A F R I C A ,   I n c .
        475 Riverside Dr., N.Y., N.Y. 10115-0050, Suite 831
     212-870-2106 OFFICE / 212-870-2055 FAX / oca at igc.apc.org
               ...a non-profit org: IRS 501(c)(3)

                Dr. James H. Robinson, Founder

           LaVerne Brown - Head, Executive Offices

        Cecil R. Washington, Jr. - Project Consultant
              [ UC Berkeley / Oberlin College ]