Biodiversity

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sun Sep 1 22:25:35 EST 1996

No problem Vince, there is a great deal of difference between the biome in
eastern Canada (the source of my forebearers) and the subtropical Texas Gulf
Coast.  Furry snacks multiply like, well, rats.  And the US Parks and Wildlife
people control populations and locations of Red Cockaded Woodpeckers with nest
boxes placed in other wise unsuitable trees.  the predators that follow very
closely behind are the red and grey foxes, coyotes, and bob cats.  One year
after a clear cut in the south you cannot easily make your way through the
clearing.  Prime rodent habitate in lush grass and forb growth.  Five years
later and you will not move through the clearing for hard wood brush and what
ever planted seedling is out there, some where around 15 you can see day
light, and the process starts over at 25 to 30.

Much of the sothern game and non game species rely on the edge effect, perfect
in plantation works, when done right.

Our endangered species in Texas are on the rebound, due to corporate concern,
as well as governmental.  My problem is that they don't recognize all the
endangered species, I think black bear and cougar should be listed as
endangered, yet are ignored.

Good thoughts, guys and girls, that is what the net is all about, keep up the
conversation.

In article <504542$bog_001 at ts1-fctn-02.mis.ca> marvin at mis.ca (Vince Zelazny)
writes:>From: marvin at mis.ca (Vince Zelazny)