organic, no-till

Jamie Simpson jamessim at uoguelph.ca
Mon Apr 7 01:50:02 EST 1997

lanco wrote:

> anyone know of any good sources of information related to no-till
> organic farming?  or, anyone know anthing about no-till, organic
> soybean production? or, anyone know if no-till, organic is feasible?
> thanks.-->lang at sysconn.com
Depending on where you are you may have a problem going organic and
no-till.  No-till generally requires an integrated pest management
program..ie. chemicals!  Also, no-till may not be very successful on
heavy textured soils, that is soils with a high clat content.  It may be
possible to move to an organic system once the pests are under control
(with chemicals) and using an appropriate rotation.  Corn, beans wheat
is typical in my region (southern Ontario).  The rotation helpd to
reduce the build up of pests that require a specific host (and there are
economic advantages as well).  However, going organic after many years
of conventional management may lead to problems in weed management.
Lot's of manual labour may be required.  Try contacting your local
agronomist. Start with the government ones as they will probably know
some people in your area that are trying alternative methods of
agriculture.  If there is no help there, then try the closest university
that has an agriculture program (where are you writing from?).  They
will often point you in the right direction or offer assistance for
free.