Trees for profit

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Apr 7 23:00:44 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote in article
> <3349150D.3FE7 at livingston.net>...
> > Jamie Simpson wrote:
> > >
> > > I have read, with interest, the recent postings on the value of trees.
> > > In my neck of the woods there aren't much woods.  Most of the land is
> > > urban or agricultural.  However, I still hear of trees beig sold at the
> > > stump for 2 - 3 THOUSAND dollars.  Even in Canadian dollars, that is a
> > > lot of money for ONE tree.  These are high valued hardwoods, walnut,
> > > cherry, hickory, whatever.  Forget about pulpwood!  Grow high value
> > > hardwoods if you can and wait.
> >
> > I know of one walnut tree in northern Illinoise that sold for $37,000 on
> > the stump.  Unusual tree, but shows what the potential is.  And don't
> > bad mouth pulp wood, they are the competition that forces the finale
> > crop tree to be what it is, pruned, straight, and a survivor.  Every
> > plant is a part of the formulae for growing that finale crop.
> >

> I believe that tree was sold about 1980.  I remember the phone ringing off
> the hook of every landowner who had a walnut tree.  As I stated in an
> earlier posting, a walnut veneer log was bought by a Maryland buyer for
> $52,000.  37 dib at 15 ft.  Growth ring spacing was the key.

Same tree, my clients called me on every 8" walnut tree they had!  Of
course the hard wood folks made a big to do about the tree.  Our walnut
in Texas has good color, but is a fast grower due to the longer season
and moisture availability.  I buy and sell walnut on my own for many
years now, most of it I use in my shop.  Some of the better moves out
tot he gun stock and knife business.

> It seems that I am the only one who cuts up any of this timber that
> landowners are growing.  I will tell you that fast growing trees do not
> make as good of lumber as slow growing trees.  Boards have more of a
> tendency to twist and cup.

Yes and no, the grain in some of the fast growth walnut can be
excellant, no figure, just good clean straight furniture wood, and
excellant color.  much depends on the sawyer, and the will to cut a good
product.  Quarter sawn walnut with clean lines, distinct color changes
in the annual ring can produce some very interesting wood.  ONce dried
to 8% or so, is very stable, even here in the south.

I'll buy and move as much quality hard wood as I can find, or sell it
for my clients.  The problem in Texas is we have no quality hard wood
market, no secondary furniture industry to demand better quality
hardwood.  Consequently the grade white and red oak goes for sewer
lumber, ash to fire wood.  I had a marked sale of 120 M bdft this past
year, 70% red oak 20% white oak, and the rest mixed.  AVerage about 400
bd ft to the tree, best hard wood I had marked in years.  Top bid was
$7,800.00, pulled it off the market and still have it.  I'll evenually
find a cabinet maker or contractor looking for hard wood and move it by
the tree.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/