high value timber

David Martin docm at freenet.alberni.net
Tue Apr 8 12:20:53 EST 1997

As supplies of temperate rainforest softwoods, particularly Sitka spruce, red
and yellow cedar, Douglas fir; decline, prices are rising to $2-3/fbm for clear
tight grain [>8 rings/inch] lumber and well beyond that for the closest grain
"musical instrument wood"[spruce and perhaps red cedar].  Yellow cedar ship
planking also draws a premium, as does red cedar in 18 foot and greater lengths
for canoe making.

This wood can only be "grown" by small-percentage selection ecoforestry and the
trees that contain it are taken at ages from 200-800 years, or even older.  The
major stock-exchange forest products companies are not willing to keep a forest
of this quality, as far as I have ever seen; it appears to cost too much done
the way they operate.

Many small "homestead" forestry operations are able to do work of this
quality, Merv Wilkinson being one famous example.

I am working with Merv Wilkinson on an Ecoforestry Handbook and Ecoforestry
Textbook, and we welcome information on the silvics of all valuable species in
forests with continously maintained canopies, on soils, light levels, and
seedbanks, and on other factors you have found to influence the ecology and
timber quality of lovingly maintained forests.

I can supply some draft material--we've barely begun--and my own essays on
tenure, social structures, and co-operation.

David Martin [PhD]
if sending attachments use dmartin at cedar.alberni.net