Need Neem Information

Permacltur permacltur at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 08:30:47 EST 1997

I am writing a reference file on neem for my online permaculture class.
Any information, references, etc. beyond the obvious basics would be
appreciated.  We need both information on culture and uses.

For example, I am aware that neem does not bear a large crop of seed in
areas with "good" rainfall.  I do not have specific numbers in cm or
inches per year, how seasonal distribution of rain affects yields, and
whether there are races or cultivars that produce better with high
rainfall than others.  In the same light, I am interested in experiences
with creating artificial drought stress, such as growing the trees on well
drained mounds, creating competition with trees such as casurina that are
highly competitive for moisture, etc.  In other words, I have just enough
information to know that there is a lot of information I don't have.

Another example:  I read of neem being important for shade, but the
percentage of transmission is not specified.  Neither are their
comparisons.  Is it as shady as mango?  As moringa?  Comparison with
common trees would be helpful if measurements are not available.

Likewise, we need specifics on processing.  I read alcohol extraction is
best for insecticidal uses.  Are the seeds ground?  Macerated?  Boiled?  I
am not interested in information less specific than that which would
enable a person who has never heard of neem and has only written
instructions from doing an absolutely optimum job of extraction with
maximum efficiency with cost effectiveness that would thrill an
subsistence farmer.  Please send no speculation or theories.

Ditto for applictions.  While we are primarily interested in measurable
uses, there are spiritual attributes that I would be interested in hearing
about.  For example, I'm told thatn neem is often used as a spring-tree
(grown at the head of a spring) to guard the purity of the water.  OK, we
want to know that.  Whether it is a deva or the chemicals in falling
leaves that guard the spring is secondary unless it has actually been
measured.  In any case, they may be the same thing.

All people who send solid, usefull information receive a post of the final
resource note.

Please post to my email address as I do not get to visit this newsgroup
often.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design
Courses, consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981). Next
correspondence permaculture training by email starts in Aug., '97.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box
2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  YankeePerm at aol.com

We don't have time to rush.