Trees for profit

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Apr 10 10:56:12 EST 1997

Jamie Simpson wrote:

> Don Staples wrote:
> > I'll buy and move as much quality hard wood as I can find, or sell it
> > for my clients.  The problem in Texas is we have no quality hard wood
> > market, no secondary furniture industry to demand better quality
> > hardwood.  Consequently the grade white and red oak goes for sewer
> > lumber, ash to fire wood.  I had a marked sale of 120 M bdft this past
> > year, 70% red oak 20% white oak, and the rest mixed.  AVerage about 400
> > bd ft to the tree, best hard wood I had marked in years.  Top bid was
> > $7,800.00, pulled it off the market and still have it.  I'll evenually
> > find a cabinet maker or contractor looking for hard wood and move it by
> > the tree.
> > --
> > Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/
> Hey,
>
> You can send this up to Ontario and still make a profit.  We import
> ludicrous amounts of oak given the quality growing conditions for this
> species.  Most goes into cabinets and flooring of new homes.  but the
> native oak population was decimated by overcutting many years ago and a
> policy of fire suppression.  Many areas that supported oak are now under
> low quality maple and beech in central Ontario and under corn and beans
> in the south.  Much of our imports come from the Alleghaney plateau and
> further south for white oak.  Shipping costs being relatively low, some
> of your market may come from north of the 49th!
>
> Jamie Simpson
> Mendicant Friar and Durn Good Bartender!

I would love to open a market and get a jump start on the fat cats, but,
we still don't have the infrastructure to push our products up north.
Get some of your folks to investigate "new source" of timber from the
south.

Mendicant appreciant of a durn good bartender with a heavy hand.

Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/